Forum home The potting shed

Hello Forkers August 2018

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,322
    edited August 2018
    Morning all. A fine, bright morning here. I know it's going to get unbearably hot later, but just now it's lovely.

Welcome home, Obxx. Nice to be in better temperatures and out of the stickiness.

Liri, I used to be similarly plagued, though not for a good few years now. The only thing that I found had any real effect was drinking lots, and lots, of water to flush it out. None of the treatments seemed to work. I did drink bicarb dissolved in water for the really acute stage - it's so utterly vile that you would only use if acute! But plain old water probably did as much. In terms of prevention though, no idea. I just don't get them so much any more (touch wood). 

I've got a chap coming to give a replacement window quote in an hour. Need to try to get them sorted before the winter but never done this before so rather scared of how much it's going to cost / how disruptive it'll be in this cluttered (by choice) house.

Have a good day off, AuntyRach. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,100
    @Pat E   :)  as my grandpa used to say, you can call me whatever you like, as long as you don't call me too late for dinner lol

Son has been to Norwich and is now on his way to London ... didn't have time to pop in here ...  he's been working for the past couple of weeks on the construction of the set and PA/sound systems for Secret Cinema's big summer event  https://tickets.secretcinema.org/experience - looks as if it's going to be amazing. 8- 
    There's still lots to be done and if tomorrow is going to be hot like last week they need to pace themselves ... they had four men taken ill with heatstroke last week ... two went to hospital ... but the show must go on ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pat EPat E Posts: 10,284
    Better them than me Dove. I hate the heat.  Hope it all goes well though. 

S. E. NSW
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,797

Morning all.

Forecast is 35° this afternoon, 37° by Sunday.

Plumber was meant to come yesterday and today to install the boiler but he hasn't come. I needed some screws yesterday so I went to the tool room next to the boiler room and the plumbers had emptied the rubbish stored items that may come in handy one day from the boiler room into the tool room so there is no access.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Pat EPat E Posts: 10,284
    We were being observed when we went for our walk this afternoon. 😆

S. E. NSW
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    Lovely photo Pat! 
    Liri just read back and heard you suffering. My pal won’t come off HRT because she swears it stopped hers. I had a wee touch yesterday and bought the new product by Canestan it is sodium citrate but so far it’s working.

May I share some news?  we are all in tears of happiness here today. Beloved nanny/helper who has been with my daughter and her children and dogs and hubby for 11 years since HK has finally been granted a visa for here. It has taken 2 years and four very expensive attempts but so worth it. She is a member of the family and my gd s (the one especially who has a condition)broke their hearts leaving her in Moscow. Elder one gave the border control guy at Heathrow a right mouthful about not bringing Lucy who she loooooooooooved.
    sorry still bursting with emotion. This really does change all our lives 
    have a lovely day and believe  miracles do happen!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,559
    Anyone around, we need flaggers! 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    It's gone Lyn.
    SW Scotland
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,797

I'm so glad for you all Lily P. Who is Lucy? Dog? I hope Nanny likes the UK.

I still take HRT, for 10 years after starting it all my arthritic aches disappeared. Been on it 15 years but now it's a half dose and arthritic aches are back. I still get hot flushes from time to time. Anyway, concerning wee infections, drinking lots of water is the best thing.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,100
    LilyP .... so pleased for you and your family ... and of course for the lady in question ... I hope she really enjoys her time in the UK  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

This discussion has been closed.