Forum home The potting shed

Any bakers?

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
are there any bakers amongst us? I bought a St&ves built in oven 3 years ago. Had one before, excellent oven. Not this one. Temperature control is pants . Bought a thermometer for it but I still have to turn my baking trays round half way through - in the fan oven. 
Wondering whether just to junk it and buy another make. Any recommendations from other bakers??
'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,804
    Tell the manufacturers and get it fixed.  Probably a minor fix.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    I did speak to the manufacturers about it and they were not interested. To be fair it was just a month outside their guarantee!! 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,374
    That doesn't sound very fair to me.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,206
    It isn't fair at all. I had a Belling with a fan oven. It took 20 minutes to get up to 180 degrees so we called in the rep. He said it was within normal parameters. Now have an AEG. Fantastic, best cooker I've ever had. Not the cheapest but worth twice the money.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,846
    Sounds like a fault with the oven........is it worth paying an engineer to check it out?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,452
    Maybe telling them a bit more loudly and via Twitter would make them feel more able to help you  ;) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,804
    I brought our Rangemaster 110DF with us from Belgium.  It needed bits twiddling but the distributor in Belgium wouldn't go near it because I hadn't bought if from them.  How could I as they weren't there when I bought.  Had to import it.

Contacted Rangemaster UK who sent me details of French chaps happy to help and they sent me a lovely chap to service it and fiddle with the gas burners.  Great stuff and not expensive. 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,991
    I have thought about this overnight and I am just going to cut my losses and buy a different one. The struggle has totally put me off it permanently!
  • Have a look at New World,New Home.I bought mine a couple of months ago and finding it very good.I baked scones yesterday,and ten minutes after putting them in they were cooked,all beautifully golden and even on all of them.No turning necessary!
    The cooker I had in Spain had a knob that had pictures on it! Big flame......Medium flame........Small flame! Try cooking a Christmas dinner on that! All my cakes had to be cooked in a shallow pan of water,as the heat all came from the bottom!  Good luck with finding something you like Hogweed.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.