Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Anyone on-call for advice please

Hello
I need advice on contraption I made to help my plants when I am away for two weeks.
I have made this crude set-up to help my plants and few experimental cuttings.
Would this be ok?
 As far as I can see, the wicks are at wet, so is soil in the containers.
Many thanks.
Kanwaljit.Dhande

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445
    looks a good idea. Have you got time to test it before you go away?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,618
    It should help with watering. Are they in the shade as well, inside or out. I would make sure they are in a shady place outside as well as the wicks. Can you ask a neighbour to top up the bucket if necessary?
  • kanwaljit.dhandekanwaljit.dhande Posts: 16
    edited July 2018
    Thanks you both.
    The contraption is tested and is working as far as I can see.
    Plants are in the shade, in the tool shed, with an ajar window and perspex roof.
    Would two buckets not survive for a fortnight? I am locking 🔐 the shed as there is a lot of stuff in there, including my poisons and potions, hand and power tools and everything in between....🏠
    With a perspex roof they might get too hot in there. Can you leave them outside in a shady area?
  • That's good idea, and then I can ask my lovely neighbours to top up the buckets as well.
  • LauraRoslinLauraRoslin Posts: 496
    Looks very ingenious!
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 9,012
    Would the wicking effect be better if the buckets were raised above the level of the pots?
    I think you are thinking of a syphon, KT53. A wick works slightly differently. Same as a pot standing in water tray, the soil acts like a wick and the water gets sucked up.