Forum home Problem solving

Leaning Sweetcorn Plants

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535
I have 9 plants all growing lovely in a diamond formation but 2 of them have started to lean.
It is probably the dry soil suddenly being wet from the precious rain we have just had.
They are 3 foot tall and healthy.

? Do I need to use any support
Everyone is just trying to be Happy.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,635
    I'd stick a bamboo cane in next to the leaners and tie them to it ... we may well get some more rain and gusty wind.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535
    I thought Usain Bolt was fast !!!   :#

Thank you and when my gouty foot is better I will hop over and do that
    edited July 2018
    Oooh bad luck re the gout ... my little brother gets that from time to time .... ouch!!  :'(
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189
    You could also try earthing up your plants.  

I find if you initially plant sweetcorn in a dug out channel then earth up the plants as they grow like you would with spuds, the roots are anchoured in quite deeply and  tend not to get blown over.    
    Thanks Zoomer.............I will put that in my Tips Folder for next season.

I placed a large breeze block next to each of them for a week and it seems to have worked but I will keep an eye out for strong winds.

DOVE

Feet are better so i am going out for a 5 mile hike to prove it with lots of water !!
    edited August 2018
    Phew!  Too hot here to hike @NewBoy2. ... watering and deadheading done ... sitting in the shade with a good book and a large glass of cold water. 
    Hope you enjoy your hike and that your feet behave themselves 😉

• NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 3,823
    I do the earthing up thing with sweet corn too, seems to work.
    Dove.

Did the walk that usually takes 2 hours but yesterday was 2 and 1/2 

Very hot weather seems to affect the human body quite a lot unless you are 6 years old !!
    I picked 3 sweet corn and returned next day to find that Mr Badger had eaten all of the other 18 !!

I hope he was sick the little Fat swear word
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,710
    I had the same problem one year with squirrels.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3