Pond Full of Elodea Crispa.

ELODEA CRISPA POND OXYGENATING PLANT

I bought one strand of this and now the 4 x 3 foot pond is full up with the stuff.

I have floating lilies and there are some tiny frogs , some newts and water boatmen

Should I thin it out as the interweb says it gives out oxygen in the day but sucks it back in the night

Advice please friends
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,542
    At this time of year it grows like crazy.  OH has been taking some out every week ever since the warm spell started ... check it for pond snail and newt eggs etc before you leave it on the side for 24 hours to let any critters make their way back into the pond.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    Dove.......good to hear from you

I suppose my question should have been more specific ....

Will it help the Pond Critters if there is more open water to move about in or do they prefer almost total cover.

I can imagine being a snail , froglet  or newt stuck in weed all day.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,542
    Don't know whether the critters like it with a bit more free water ... we like it 'cos we can see what's going on a bit better  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690
    I pull it out as Dove says, it grows like mad now, don’t know if you should, no one would do that in a natural pond, I do it because it looks better, leave it on the side for a few days so nothing can crawl back in then compost it.
    Makes me sad when people write on here that their pond water is green or blanket weed and I’m throwing it away😢
    you need most of the surface covered to keep the water clear, I shouldn’t think critters mind. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,298
    edited July 2018
    I put a bit into an old plastic riddle (useless purchase until it came in handy for this). I leave the riddle perched over a plastic builder’s bucket with some pond water in it. Over the course of the day things wriggle out of the weed, through the holes in the riddle and into the water.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,206
    THANKS PANSYFACE...........IS A RIDDLE A TYPE OF SIEVE PLEASE AS I HAVE A SIEVE IN MY ALLOTMENT SHED I CAN USE

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,298
    edited July 2018
    Yup.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
    Very tidy Pansy, mines just chucked on the edges 😀

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Do people know this is a banned plant? You can't sell it any more, it's invasive. 

https://www.watersidenursery.co.uk/elodea-crispa-water-hyacinth-ban/

There’s always someone wanting to poke their nose in, it’s a very good oxygenating plant, I don’t think anyone will come and look in my pond. 
    How can something you regularly pull out and compost be invasive.