Forum home Problem solving

What is this wriggly thing + mystery objects!

RaspberryKillerRaspberryKiller Richmond, LondonPosts: 156
Found these wriggly things in some fibre pots I've recently put some seeds into... What are they? Not sure how they got there, although being by the windowsill, there would be opportunities for visitors. They don't look like maggots, but knowing my luck...

Additionally, in another pot, I found these odd circular 'things' that seem to have a large hole in them. No idea what they could be  :#

• RaspberryKillerRaspberryKiller Richmond, LondonPosts: 156
    Oh oh... The first one looks like a Fungus Gnat larva

https://bugguide.net/node/view/264713

From the RHS site "Fungus gnats, also known as sciarid flies, are associated with damp composts especially in house plants and seed trays."

Bingo!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,782
    edited July 2018
    The first photo looks like Sciarid fly (fungus gnat) lavae.  Have you seen any small flies about the area?  Not good news for seedlings as they eat fine roots.  Two useful links:
    Not sure about the 2nd but if that pot had commercial compost in it, those could be little spherical capsules which provide slow-release nutrients.  Ot they could be hatched mollusc eggs, I suppose. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • RaspberryKillerRaspberryKiller Richmond, LondonPosts: 156
    Thanks - it's JI seed compost, so doesn't normally contain the slow release food, as far as I'm aware?
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,782
    Looking closer I think those are tiny fruiting bodies of a (harmless) cup fungus.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.