Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Raised beds

I am thinking of doing some raised beds I would like to ask what size timber would you use and do you line the inside of the beds with plastic sheets  

• Nanna PNanna P Posts: 8
    I’ve just had railways sleepers put in for raised beds, Jason. I lined mine with a pond liner. 
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    I have used cut up old compost bags. Works very well. I have used very old railway sleepers also. They look great.
  • Jason millyJason milly Posts: 546
    Thanks for the information 
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    I used fencing timber for all of mine - 150mm/6inches [or 100mm/4 inches for some ]  x 20mm/three quarters of an inch thickness. I had heavy duty black polythene on a roll from a previous property, but any decent plastic would do. Mine was stapled on and the top edges were finished with a bevelled piece of timber to finish them off. 
    Quite inexpensive to make. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • FireFire Posts: 19,092
    I also have some made of decking wood. They won't last as long as sleepers, but it's cheap stuff and does the job.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813
    Second hand scaffolding boards cut to 4 foot lengths and screwed together with 2 or 3 board high.
    the boards are 11 and 1/2 foot long and 9 inches wide and if the scaf boys have some damaged ones they will give them to you off the back of their lorry as it saves them carrying them back to the yard to bin them. New ones are about £12.00 each

Jobs a good un
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 806
    Mine are made from "dung boards" which are thick, treated, tongue-and groove planks which I suppose must be designed to contain dung heaps.