Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Blossom End Rot.

Hello for the first time in years I have noticed some fruits on my tomatoes have developed
blossom end rot. They are in the greenhouse so I would like to know what has caused this
and whats the best way forward. So far I have removed the bad fruits which are on three
plants. I open the doors daily and water nightly. The plants are in pots with drip mats below.
Like everyone else we have had very high temperatures, I would love to know if anyone can help as I do not count myself as an expert in growing veg.

• Jason millyJason milly Posts: 546
    It's down to lack of watering, just keep a eye on the pots if they are dry water them, you did the right in taking the fruits of, not end of the world it happens to the best of us . 
  • Thank you Jason , will keep a close eye on pots in future.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Posts: 3,845
    GJ I have had this before and have been meticulous with the watering however there is one plant (I think it’s Alicante) that has some fruits affected 
    I can’t for the life of me think why. I must have got tired when I reached that pot!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511
    I am pretty careful with watering too and of the six varieties I'm growing this year, only one, Black Russian, has had BER.  I think some varieties are more susceptible than other.  It is also I understand, a calcium deficiency. 
    Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117
    Pansyface - I've personally never had a problem with my upper trusses.... :D
    My understanding is that it's not a calcium deficiency, but an inability of the plant to take up calcium, mainly due to inconsistent watering. 
    Watering at night can mean the plants are sitting in that water overnight, which isn't as good for them. Morning watering is usually better. I appreciate that overnight temps in many areas have been very high, but it's something to consider for future planting, GJohn  :)  
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • BLTBLT Posts: 525
    This year I only grew the two varieties Gardeners Delight, my fav for taste andMarmande.. The Marmande has been disappointing as I havehad to pick off and discard about a dozen decent sized Marmande.. I too have been careful over the watering but it happens some times..
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731
    Fairygirl said:

My understanding is that it's not a calcium deficiency, but an inability of the plant to take up calcium, mainly due to inconsistent watering. 

It's the plant's inability to distribute calcium to the fruit. It's believed to be caused by plant stress. Irregular watering patterns can be a factor but it's not the simple answer. Many things can stress a plant - too much water, not enough water, excessive heat, strong winds (when the plant is outdoors), fluctuating temperatures, and so on. You need to look at the overall growing conditions. And sometimes, frustratingly, there is simply no obvious answer. Even more frustrating, for the most part, not every tomato on the plant is affected.  

And it's true that some varieties are more prone to BER than others. The plum shapes - San Marzano, Roma, etc - are famous for developing BER. No one knows why beyond some sort of genetic predisposition to the problem.
  • Thankyou so much for your help its nice to know I am not alone.
    My plants are Moneymaker and the B.E.Rot was on the lower trusses.
    now the temperatures have dipped slightly I will water in the morning and see how
    I get on. I also grow Tumbler toms.in a hanging basket and they as usual are fine.
    They ripen quickly so we are cropping now, its always good to have a backup.
    Again thankyou.
  • Hi pansyface just checked they sure are.
    I suppose you garden in similar conditions as me seeing as we are both Derbyshire
    gardeners my biggest problem is high winds and variable temperatures, but must not grumble.
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy Posts: 6,774
    edited July 2018
    @Italophile has covered it very well, the other factor could be heat, as they are in a greenhouse,  if the temperature exceeds 40C enzyme activity stops and many plants also close their stomata to prevent excess water loss even when there is enough (water)  at the roots. Once this happens movement of minerals & nutrients is also compromised. Shading and ventilation are just as important as enough water in very hot conditions such as many of us have experienced recently.
    AB Still learning