Forum home The potting shed

BUYING A NEW GREENHOUSE

morning fellow gardeners,  for my birthday in September I am going to buy a new greenhouse, to replace my plastic cover one. 6x6 size. so do I  choose a glass one or the polycarbonate one. which would help my budget, so I throw it open to you for your help. thanks.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,309
    Hi Pondman - I'm no expert, but I think glass tends to be more robust and gives better protection than polycarb. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will advise though.

I recently bought a little wooden one with polycarb panels, having had the plastic ones, and so far it's fine - apart form blowing over yesterday in the rough weather! I only have it to grow tomatoes, but might use it overwinter for a few things. I don't really have room for anything bigger so it was a good choice for me.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pondman01Pondman01 Posts: 71
    thank you for getting back to me, the one you have is ok for tomatoes growing if you are stuck for space.
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,701
    Hello Pondman, I got a poly carbonate one 6x8 from a company called Primrose, I dug the foundations in and it's in a sheltered spot, it's doing very well and was reasonably priced, good luck
    hi thanks. The one i saw from b&q. 6x6. Good price.  The write up for these type seems to be good. Thanks.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,525
    I've been skeptical about the life span and recyclability of polycarbonate but apparently it is more readily recycled these days. I'd still go for glass though. Polycarbonate scratches and loses transparency over time whereas glass is much easier to clean without worrying about damaging the surface. I'd also go for a bigger greenhouse if you have the space. I find a 6x8 is too small now especially for over wintering plants. You can never have enough greenhouse space.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,886
    If you search the forum (using the search box) you will see quite a few discussions on buying greenhouses - pros, cons, companies, staging, etc.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,070
    My advice would be to go for the biggest your plot and budget can cope with. You'll never say  " If only I'd bought a smaller one" .
    I'd avoid polycarbonate unless  it's going somewhere which is out of the wind, all of the time. ;)
    Devon.
    Thanks. Going to start looking this week. 
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,789
    https://www.greenhousesdirect.co.uk/greenhouses/brands/rhino/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIibbN6uXG3AIV4b_tCh3G2w9uEAAYASAAEgIuDPD_BwE

I spent 4 months looking at many suppliers before I got to Rhino.

They give you the address of 3 local people who have bought from them and you can go and see it in situ and ask the owners whats good and bad about it

My only advice is if you are not restricted by available space buy as big a one as you can as 6 x 6 is restricting you to what you can grow in future

Imagine if you get excited and want to "do this or that " and its  then too small

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.