Forum home Wildlife gardening

Water for our Garden Critters

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,367
    Last May in my pond  [before it was even properly finished] :)

I agree with you herbaceous - many children nowadays don't even know that most fruit/veg grows in the ground  :/
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I made a splendiferous bird bath at the beginning of the year and have seen only one chaffinch have a drink from it. Was thinking of emptying it and filling it with plants. I envisaged a constant queue of birds visiting for a feed and wash and brush up. Not a clue as to why it is being ignored. We do have lots of clay pits and streams around here so there is always a supply of water, even in this draught.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,233
    Haven't done much gardening in the last few weeks just keeping greenhouse going and topping up bird feeders and birdbaths. Lots of birds especially babies.

Thought to plant next batch of lettuce a couple of weeks ago but haven't paid much attention to them other than watering as slug damage has been nil - they ate the lot! First sign of rain and I am left with stalks - one lot of garden critturs I didn't miss.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,896
    I made a splendiferous bird bath at the beginning of the year and have seen only one chaffinch have a drink from it. I envisaged a constant queue of birds visiting for a feed and wash and brush up. Not a clue as to why it is being ignored. 

I am in the same position. Frogs like it but I haven't seen much drink from it or bathe. I have put out plastic plant saucers out as well and they seem more popular. Ho hum.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,367
    I made a splendiferous bird bath at the beginning of the year and have seen only one chaffinch have a drink from it. Was thinking of emptying it and filling it with plants. I envisaged a constant queue of birds visiting for a feed and wash and brush up. Not a clue as to why it is being ignored. We do have lots of clay pits and streams around here so there is always a supply of water, even in this draught.
    Stick with it Joyce - they'll come  :)
    If you can feed birds over winter [or all year round ] they'll get used to coming in and will use the facilites more as they get accustomed to your plot. We also have loads of water options round here, but my pond gets used regularly. Before I had my little pond, and the garden was being built, I put a seed tray  of water out there with some rocks etc to make access suitable. Bees and wasps used it as well as young birds - the robins in particular, loved it  :)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,818
    My daughter (at 31) has got her own garden for the first time.She is growing all sorts of veg (albeit in a very haphazard sort of way!).
    She wants a pond at some point but sunk a small bowl in the ground at the end of her garden and is delighted that 2 frogs have already taken up residence!
    She may be 31 but she is like a kid in a sweetshop!!!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
    She is like a kid in a sweetshop.

Me too.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,307
    Fire,,,,apologies my typing is bad.

I meant that in 1953 when TV started children came home from school and stayed in the house for the first time and later the family meal/discussion was affected by the draw of the TV in the corner of the room.

Sorry Fire......that was my only point.
    Never change Tigers in Mid Stream
    NewBoy2 - I was only teasing.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,233
    Maybe that's the difference @NewBoy2, we couldn't afford a TV until the early 60's but Dad 'borrowed' one from the hospital (he was a nurse) so we could see the coronation. I don't really remember it just that it was very small but all the grown ups were getting quite excited.

Spent most of my childhood outdoors - whatever the weather  ;)