Water for our Garden Critters

I have placed two large plastic bowls that usually fit under 12 inch wide pots filled with water on the lawn far enough away from the hedges....cats !!
I saw an enormous fat Wood Pigeon sitting in one of them with its feathers all puffed up looking very pleased with itself. In the other bowl 3 sparrows were having a bath !!

Im sure you are all helping in this way but this is the first time I have supported them.

Saw a skinny fox and a hedge hog walking up my road this morning when I got up at  4.00 am to use the loo.
Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,541
    Providing water will attract more wildlife than providing food will ... and give them more benefit in this weather ... Good on you @NewBoy2 :D
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,138
    Thanks Dove. I also have a batty white cat that visits and  chases imaginary mice and flying critters until it scares itself..
    Ooohhh.... whats that strange noise on the conservatory roof....its rain....time to get out and do a Rain Dance !!
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,104
    I know what you mean about the pigeon @NewBoy2 ! I have a bath on a stand and a dish on the ground, I get a pigeon who comes and sits in the bath (probably because its deeper) and fends off all the small birds 'cos he just wants a quiet soak and cool his feet down. Have to say it took him a while to use it as its a bit wobbly and he kept 'falling' off, now he launches himself straight into the bath from a nearby flat roof. Quite a sight!

Who needs TV?
    On a semi related point.....GPs are now recommending walks and working in the garden as a prescription for Depression.......What goes around comes around.
  • kanwaljit.dhandekanwaljit.dhande MansfieldPosts: 14
    edited July 2018
    @herbaceous, I have witnessed a similar pigeon.
    On the note of plastic bowl, I keep two terracotta bowls, aim to refill every morning.
    I thought terracotta has small pores which naturally helps evaporation and keep the water cool for our friends...
    @Newboy2, this thing, called social prescribing, I happen to believe is catching hold.
    Social prescribing is only necessary because society has lost its way due to 1953   TV  and then Computers and even worse    I Phones

This generation will be badly judged by the next one. ;) and heavily criticised by the future historians and social commentators
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,104
    I'm sorry @NewBoy2 but I think that supermarkets have had a hand in the decline of knowledge about food and where it comes from. My children grew up with a vegetable patch, visits to a butcher and greengrocer in the village with food that had dirt, fur and feathers.

They have not been so lucky as to have gardens themselves (well number two now has) and have been glad to bring my grandsons to help cut and pull food from the vine and ground. Not everyone has that opportunity - should I be banished to Curmudgeon's Corner?

OK, rant nearly over - when food is pre-packed, prepared, relatively cheap and available all year round where is the incentive to grow your own? OK I'm done now.
    Herbaceous..............Totally agree with all you say
    I could write pages on this subject but....
    Its time for my chamomile tea and a lie down  :)
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,324
    Society has lost its way due to 1953 

Wasn't the year 1953 kind of inevitable?

• BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 749
    My birdbath has not been getting any use apart from paper wasps. I think it is because the water gets really warm in there. This king of making ourselves a small pond.