Forum home Problem solving

Help garden being eaten alive!!

• KatGKatG Posts: 37
    Thanks both.. oh dear doesn’t look good. Is this a decent place to get the trap and grub nematodes from: 
    https://www.nematodesdirect.co.uk
    also I’ll get a trap now but is it too early to put the grub nematodes down as there will only be eggs at present? 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,376
    I've used that supplier without issue.  Yes, wait until (hopefullly) the weather returns to more 'normal' conditions!  The soil needs to be damp but warm for nematodes to work so this sort of weather will simply kill them before they get started.  The instructions on theat are very good and need to be followed or it can get even more expensive!  I'd place the traps in as damp and shady spots under the affected plants as you can find as those are the places adult vine weevils will hide during the day.  Lift and look underneath all of your pots as that is a favourite hidning place.  Night visits with a torch can catch quite a lot if them, too. ;)
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,908
    Best time to apply nematodes is October and April, that way you catch the hatched out grubs and follow up in April when any that escaped will be caught. 
    I’ve  used these they’ve very good. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thank you both so much for the incredibly helpful advice, I’ll get on and order the traps now. Here’s  hoping I have a better year next year! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,289
    They are a nuisance if they get a foothold.
    Good luck Kat  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• There are a couple of different types of nematodes that can be used to combat vine weevil grubs and they are very effective against grubs in pots; less so against grubs in the ground.

It's important to get the correct nematodes as the different nematodes have different low temperature tolerances, otherwise you may find them ineffective if the temperature is too low in the spring. Keep the compost in the pots continually moist and when applying the nematodes initially, you need to drench the containers withe the 'nematode water'.

As I said, they are not as effective against grubs in the ground. I use nematodes as a precaution in the spring and autumn as this area has vine weevil.
    Thanks both, do you think they’ve already got a hold? Everything in my garden has been planted in the last year but about half the plants are affected.. some of the smaller perennials were so demolished I could hardly detected there was once a plant there, just a tiny stalk and the remainder of a leaf or two!!
    most of the affected plants are in the ground rather than pots- what should I do about them if the nematodes don’t work so well? 
  • Big Bang InflationBig Bang Inflation Posts: 50
    edited July 2018
    Hi @KatG

This pdf document is aimed at nurseries but it does give some really good information about the adult Vine weevil, the grubs that cause the most damage and the different species of nematodes.

The nematodes, and especially the traps, can be expensive if you have a large garden.

That said, I would start with just the nematodes and see if you can control the population just using them. However, I have lost a number of plants planted in the ground even after drenching with nematodes - this includes some Heucheras this spring. In pots nematodes are very effective though.

The traps are very expensive and were only moderately successful for me.

Although some on this forum may disagree with this advice, you may want to consider using sacrificial potted plants that you have dosed with a systemic insecticide. There are some that are specifically for Vine Weevil control. They would be potted plants with no flowers that get put outside at dusk, near or under your currently worst affected plants, and brought under cover when you get up. If you go do wn this route, choose potted plant that the adult Vine Weevil like to nibble on. You would use this along with nematodes.

You'll not get rid of Vine weevil but you can control them if the population gets out of control.

Just remember to *drench* pots with the 'nematode water' and to keep the soil moist.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,808
    Nematodes are best used for vegetable plots as they burrow down to kill the slugs over a period of 4 to 6 weeks. I have used them for 3 years with brilliant results
    Thats all I can contribute....good luck
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
    Thanks Bing bang and all. The sacrificial plant option sounds good! What would be a good plant to use that they’d be attracted to but doesn’t flower? Or can I use a plant they are attracted to but cut the flowers off? 
    Also I read that they can’t cause holes in the centre of leaves due to the way their mouth parts are, my Choisya seems to have holes in the centre of leaves (picture above) ...could this be something else? 
    Thanks in advance.