Forum home Fruit & veg

Apple crumble and custard

After a very wet Spring and a very hot Summer we have the best crop ever on the old bramley apple tree.   Not finished eating all last years yet.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    That's a great looking crop Richard, and a lovely tree. You'll need plenty of exercise to work off all those pies and crumbles though!  :D
    I have a couple of little apple trees which are also carrying a decent  crop. I don't like apples that much, but I'm happy to keep them for the blackbirds in winter, or the wasps etc in autumn. My girls might get a couple too if they're lucky.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,109
    mmmmm they look very healthy and delicious! lots of juicy and very sweet blackberries in the hedgerows now - looks like a bumper year for them too.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,156
    Ours are just at the flowering stage Pete [the brambles] but I noticed they looked quite hefty with flowers so they should crop well. The Elderflowers at work are stunning at the moment - covered in flowers. Some are just starting to turn 'fruity' so the birds should get a good feed   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,724
    Thise apples look fantastic @Richard Hodson. My cookers (2 of unknown varieties and must be decades old) are ready in September usually, although I wonder if they will be a bit earlier this year. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,778
    It looks like my blackberries (both wild and cultivated) might be finished before the first apple is ripe, although it was also close last year.  I must remember to freeze some blackberries this year, so thanks for the post, Richard.  :)
    Apple and (any other available fruit) pies and crumbles are very nice but don't really hit the same mark!
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,575
    Make the most of them, there may not be any next year, that happened in 76. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• FireFire LondonPosts: 7,178
    It breaks my heart that we import so many apples when there are certain varieties here that keep so well. Bringing apples from New Zealand in October? Green beans from Kenya in June? Surely pure craziness.
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 3,454
    Fire said:
    It breaks my heart that we import so many apples when there are certain varieties here that keep so well. Bringing apples from New Zealand in October? Green beans from Kenya in June? Surely pure craziness.
    I don't know about New Zealand, but I suspect the difference in income and living standards between Kenyan and British farmers more than pays for the food miles.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,178
    edited July 2018
    To import something from thousands of miles away when people grow it down the road is the definition of daft. Yes, the economics works for the supermarkets, for the planet it's a bloody disaster.

We are trying to raise the local profile of groups like Urban Harvest, which collect fruit that would go to waste, unharvested. Volunteer groups go to homes, offices, school, parks etc and harvest food, by invitation. The group bring picking tools, ladders etc. The food is then divided between the land owner, the pickers and charities such as homeless hostels. There are many such initiatives and they work very well.

You can sure that some of the people buying imported apples have their own rotting under their trees.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 5,460
    Fire said:
    I live in a big apple growing area and every year I see thousands of apples rotting on the ground (much to the delight of some birds I hasten to add). There's also loads of feral apple trees around here growing on the sides of roads that never get cropped.