Forum home The potting shed

Celebration of a man who loved gardening... your thoughts

13»

• For my mum in laws funeral I got a nice shaped branch out of the garden - one that had lots of little branches on and wedged it into a plant pot with sand. I bought parcel tags with string and everyone wrote a fond memory on the tag and hung it on a branch. It was nice reading them on the day and have given us comfort on the sad days since. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,636
    So, my dad's funeral was yesterday. Thank you for all your ideas.

It was a festival of flowers (and cake). Home grown enormous dahlias, roses, and sunflowers everywhere. Great bouquets of delphiniums and white roses around the chapel and on the wicker coffin. I found an astonishing local florist-artist, who did such a good job. We had bowls of personalised seed packets for the guests to take of all my dad's fav flowers - sunflowers, FGMNs, sweet williams. I gathered up the plant labels from some of his lovely bought flowers and worked them into a collage displayed on a big board at the reception, with photos from his life. We gave guests armfuls of flowers from the vase displays to take home. The delphiniums were the stars of the show, no doubt. All the more glorious as I can't grow them.

My house is bulging with flowers on every surface, from the day and from my garden. Cascades of cosmos and coreopsis, mask flowers and wall flowers.  I gave lots to my neighbours.

I wanted to bring large pots from his garden, but transport access wasn't easy, so we went for seeds and cut flowers instead. All in, it was pretty stunning, and it helped to think through the ideas here.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,049
    sounds like you did him proud, Fire  :)
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,952
    Oh @Fire - at such a hard time, you clearly made the day very memorable, personal and full of love. 
    Welled- up a bit here.  
    💐🌷🌹🥀🌺🌸🌼🌻
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    It was very worth it. And good to think that what people will remember will be the flowers.
  • What a wonderful way to give him a fitting send off @Fire It sounds as though it was beautifully organised. Well done.
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 23,339
    I've only just stumbled on this thread.  It sounds like you organised a great send off Fire and I hope it does bring you comfort and joy too when you think about your dad and the good times.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
    I could sleep for a month.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,293
    I have just caught up with this @Fire , I'm glad that things went as well as you hoped. This forum has it's moments, both good and bad, but this proves the majority are nice people. Have as good a rest as you can. :)
    "This proves the majority are nice people."

I never had a moment's doubt.