Forum home The potting shed

Celebration of a man who loved gardening... your thoughts

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,955
    My condolences @Fire - I hope you and your family are doing ok at this difficult time.
    What a lovely idea to bring fond memories by way of some personal gardening-related touches. 
    Flowers from his garden is a great idea. What about some jam-jar posies like we do on that thread? I also like the idea from @Dovefromabove about seeds to offer people to grow in their own gardens. Maybe Forget-Me-Not seeds or his favourites. Do you have any photos of your Dad in his garden? You could display those too. 
    At my Mum’s funeral/life celebration, we had vases of Daffodils, her favourite, (it was March) and people took a few home. Everyone also wore a daffodil, or MacMillan daffodil pin. It was bitter-Sweet but actually really touching.
    I hope you find something fitting too. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 7,654
    Good thoughts here. Any celebration ideas way out of the box are welcome too.

Hot air balloons, kite flying, art work... (I know I said not OTT, but go for it).
    🌱
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,050
    I made up a little photo book for my aunt who couldn't come to Dad's funeral. It had photos of Dad, photos of the place where I scattered his ashes, the poem from his funeral service (Feel no guilt in laughter), an extract from the eulogy that I wrote for him. Apparently it's now been round the whole family. Or you could get a large print of a photo of him, or his garden, or him in his garden to put on the wall.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • ju1i3ju1i3 Camden Town, LondonPosts: 189
    small pots with compost from the garden to go with the seeds for attendees to take away? (you could stretch it with other compost)
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,913
    My OH got a large selection of photos of my mum throughout her life and scanned them onto the computer.  At her wake these were playing silently on a monitor and anyone who wanted a copy of any,  or all,  of them requested them.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 3,955
    I hope you have had some ideas @Fire, and are feeling ok.
    i was just thinking what about tree planting ceremony - maybe a fruit so you can have an extra memory with the gift of the produce each year?? 
    This is a bit ‘out there’ but would you consider a hand print to be made into a pot or stone? Your funeral director can help with this. 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
    I love some of these ideas ....
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 6,547
    Many condolences Fire. I don't have any other ideas to suggest - the others are all good ones. When my Dad died, I bought a lovely deep red rose called "Royal William" (his name was Henry William and he loved red roses).  That rose is now 25 years old and has been moved three times so far to each house I've lived in. It was still in bloom last November so I was able to take a couple of flowers up to the memorial chapel on the relevant date.