Forum home Fruit & veg

Help identifying tree

Hi All, 

I just moved into a new house which had 2 established trees in - one showing small green fruit and one which isn't showing fruit, but i have been told its most likely a fruit tree. I have been searching everywhere online and just cant seem to identify them - can anyone help please? - See attached images.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Chris

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,504
    Hi Chris and welcome  :)

The fruit looks like a plum or gage of some sort ... it will have to ripen to reveal more about itself.

From a distance the other tree looks like another of the prunus (plum) family ... it may be that the Beast from the East affected it's blossom/pollination this year which may be
    why it's not fruiting.  The other may have flowered earlier or later.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hello! Thanks very much for your help. I did wonder if they were plums but we have only just moved in, and found loads of shrivelled up prune like things on it and then some new green fruit. I think those must had been ones that were ripe and died? 
    It's been a difficult year for some fruit trees ... and you don't know how much tlc your trees have had in the past ... keep popping back and letting us know how things are going ... photos are always helpful ... and hopefully we'll be able to help you get something better  than shrivelled prunes in the future. 
     :) 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hopefully!  :) Last question though if you dont mind. Here is the last tree i have and again, have been told its a fruit tree but no fruit? Doyou know what this is by any chance please? 
  • sandra fsandra f Posts: 21
    Looks like an apple tree to me
    sandra f said:
    Looks like an apple tree to me
    Looks like one to me as well.  

Again, it may be the weather conditions in the spring, or it may be that it needs another tree of a compatible variety to be growing nearby in order for pollination to be successful.  If you don't know what variety it is, an ornamental crab apple is often a successful pollinator for most varieties of apple.  

Lots of helpful stuff here https://www.orangepippintrees.co.uk/articles/pollination-of-fruit-trees

:) 

• Thank you for your help all, appreciate it!