Forum home Problem solving

Killing Hop tuber

Hi

I need advice on killing a hop tuber. My father rents out my Grandparent's old bungalow. It has been rented for a few years and over the time the garden has become a mess. Looks like nobody has maintained it at all! A hop (which I never remember being there before) has draped itself over a good third of the garden, killing most of the underlying plants and distorting the shrubs. I've cleared all the vines and root tendrils and believe all I have left is the tuber which is like a tap root, going down into the bowels of the earth and some other bits going under a path and the lawn. As they can't be dug out, can anyone recommend a way of killing off these tubers so it doesn't grow back again? In hindsight I should have glyphosated the leaves but I needed to clear it to see what had survived underneath. 

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers James

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482
    Guybrush said:
    Hi

In hindsight I should have glyphosated the leaves but I needed to clear it to see what had survived underneath. 

All suggestions welcome.

Cheers James
    I think you've answered your own question. ;)
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,567
    Let it grow a few leaves then paint them with glyphosate.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,482
     ;) 
    Devon.
  • GuybrushGuybrush Posts: 172
    I can't I'm afraid, the bungalow is going to be rented out soon and I won't have access to it. 😕
    Can't see an alternative than digging it out in that case.

Could your father not explain the problem to the new tenant and arrange with them t that he will be sending someone in to treat any regrowth?

A lot of landlords around here employ someone to come in and deal with weeds, hedges, lawns etc every few months.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GuybrushGuybrush Posts: 172
    Yes I think that's probably the best solution. I just thought there might be some age old method of painting the tuber with napalm or something. I think some garden maintenance people might be the answer. Cheers James  
    Give the maintenance people a written list and explanation of what's to be done and when ... not all garden maintenance people are gardeners  ;)