Forum home The potting shed

EUTHANASIA

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,971
    Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond.

I think we must nearly all have tales to tell of “striving to maintain life” where death would obviously be the kindest thing.

I didn’t want it to become a religious debate. Or a political debate. Or a doctor’s code of conduct debate. That’s why I only asked what you yourself would wish to have done if you found yourself in that condition.

It’s interesting that so many have said that they would be in favour of a dignified and controlled way out rather than a “rage against the dying of the light” end.

It must surely be possible for lawyers to come up with some sort of set of laws about what is the right and what is the wrong way to bring a life to a peaceful conclusion.

PP, my Chinese is too rusty. The last word is “thanks” but without digging out my Chairman Mao dictionary I am at a loss. Please translate....
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    @pansyface It means 'please update'. I thought Nora would like it in view of the spam on the homepage every morning. 
    PP, your Chinese is much more advanced than mine.

I learned by the old fashioned Chinese rote method, the whole class chanting in unison.

So I can still remember how to say “I am a little green tree frog” and “How many houses are on this street?” with perfect clarity. Though I have never been able to put either to use whenever I have met a Chinese person. But I live in hope.

• plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,234
    Didn't work anyway @pansyface. Maybe I should have gone the tree frog route! Those things make a helluva racket for their size! 
    Hazel have you nodded off?😀
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    Yes I would go for assisted dying if I was terminally ill and in pain.

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Today, Friday, is the 27th @Muddle-UP unless your post from yesterday has just appeared! 
    SW Scotland