Forum home Fruit & veg

Anyway to identify tomato types?

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    It's all a learning curve Poppie  ;)
    Moneymaker is a very easy tom, which is why I reckoned they could be that. Ideal for these mass producers.   I grow them most years as they suit me and my needs.
    I've just potted some on as I got a small greenhouse recently. We can't grow outside here [although probably could have this year!] as our temps aren't great at night. They aren't very big, and I may not get much fruit setting now, but they're so easy to grow.

Enjoy them anyway - it's lovely to have your own, even if there isn't a lot of 'em!  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Poppies08Poppies08 Posts: 41
    Fairygirl said:
    It's all a learning curve Poppie  ;)
    Moneymaker is a very easy tom, which is why I reckoned they could be that. Ideal for these mass producers.   I grow them most years as they suit me and my needs.
    I've just potted some on as I got a small greenhouse recently. We can't grow outside here [although probably could have this year!] as our temps aren't great at night. They aren't very big, and I may not get much fruit setting now, but they're so easy to grow.

Enjoy them anyway - it's lovely to have your own, even if there isn't a lot of 'em!  :)
    Same where I live it’s always dull and rainy but this year has been great for the flowers and fruit and vegetables! I have got some seeds I have for over winter just to see if I can be successful and just hope the mini greenhouse I have works well! I am looking forward to seeing how my tomatoes turn out they are large at the moment but I think they are changing colour now! Do you think it will grow more after I accidentally cut the leader stem? :)
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    You won't get that stem regrowing, but as long as you have a few stems with fruits, it'll be fine.  :)
    They're really easy from seed, so maybe next year you could try that.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    You won't get that stem regrowing, but as long as you have a few stems with fruits, it'll be fine.  :)
    They're really easy from seed, so maybe next year you could try that.
    Okay thank you! I will hope for some more stems! What do I do with the plant in winter will it die or do I try to bring it in over winter I only have a small green house that is the plastic type right now but hope to get a real one :)
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730
    Do you think it will grow more after I accidentally cut the leader stem? 

If you ever lose a flower-producing stem, you can always create another one. Rather than nipping out all the suckers, let one grow. Providing your season is long enough, it will produce flowers and fruit. The suckers grow in the angle between stem and branch.

Tomato plants are basically annuals. They eventually succumb to either disease or cold. Plan on a new crop every year.

If you ever lose a flower-producing stem, you can always create another one. Rather than nipping out all the suckers, let one grow. Providing your season is long enough, it will produce flowers and fruit. The suckers grow in the angle between stem and branch.

Tomato plants are basically annuals. They eventually succumb to either disease or cold. Plan on a new crop every year.

Okay thank you so each year I should try and get new ones if the frost has been bad? 
    Poppies08 said:

Okay thank you so each year I should try and get new ones if the frost has been bad? Also this technique would it make the plant higher? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,755
    Don’t save the plants, you sow seeds again next March
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn said:
    Don’t save the plants, you sow seeds again next March
    Oh okay thank you! I will do that :)