Forum home Fruit & veg

Anyway to identify tomato types?

recently I bought a tomato plant from b and q, it was tall and in a container and not a bush type! But when I got home I realised the one I picked up never had a information card? Anyway I could work out what I am growing? The leafs are jagged like a saw or sharp teeth and are slightly hairy to touch! Any help I’d be great full for :)

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705
    There is no way to identify until the fruit ripens.  One  tomato plant looks very much like another, except for the potato leaved outdoor variety.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I have never seen a good tomato plant in B & Q. They have all been horribly leggy. I don't think they look after them very well.
    I buy my tomatoes from a local nurseryman who supplies really sturdy plants. 

However I have had some very good bedding plants from B&Q.
    You need to inspect the plants yourself carefully. some plants are easily revived from neglect others are tough.    

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Poppies08Poppies08 Posts: 41
    Iamweedy said:
    I have never seen a good tomato plant in B & Q. They have all been horribly leggy. I don't think they look after them very well.
    I buy my tomatoes from a local nurseryman who supplies really sturdy plants. 

However I have had some very good bedding plants from B&Q.
    You need to inspect the plants yourself carefully. some plants are easily revived from neglect others are tough.    
    Yes I often buy the ones which need helped! I think I will check next time I am in I will check to see if I can recognise the one I have! 
    There is no way to identify until the fruit ripens.  One  tomato plant looks very much like another, except for the potato leaved outdoor variety.
    Oh okay thank you! They are quite round and I think they are cherry but are larger so when they ripen hopefully I can work it out :) 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,153
    edited July 2018
    I think you'll find they'll be something like Moneymaker or Gardener's Delight.  :)
    I've bought little ones from B&Q in the  past -  often the ones they're trying to get rid of - and they've been great. I grow from seed now, but sometimes I just took the notion for a few when I wasn't intending growing them.

Should have said - why not pop back and see what the others say on their labels?  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Fairygirl said:
    I think you'll find they'll be something like Moneymaker or Gardener's Delight.  :)
    I've bought little ones from B&Q in the  past -  often the ones they're trying to get rid of - and they've been great. I grow from seed now, but sometimes I just took the notion for a few when I wasn't intending growing them.

Should have said - why not pop back and see what the others say on their labels?  :)
    I have a feeling they where called moneymakers! Do you know what type of tomato they are as? I did try to go back however they had all sold out and the worker never knew the names but I normally don’t shop at b and a because there are garden shops near by that focus on the plants but I like trying to save the ones in b and q :)
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Money makers are a standard type of tomatoe. Not Maramande or plum, or minature. They give a good crop
    ZeroZero1 said:
    Money makers are a standard type of tomatoe. Not Maramande or plum, or minature. They give a good crop
    Oh okay thank you!
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730
    These are Moneymakers. Essentially a large cherry, they produce in clusters as a cherry variety would.

These are Moneymakers. Essentially a large cherry, they produce in clusters as a cherry variety would.

They are very alike what I am growing both the size and shape thank you! Although I accidentally pruned the leader stem not sure it will grow back, or getting any higher now but anyway at least I have a few good clusters :)