Moths

I have seen at least 3 different moths today.  The first was a first for our garden but unfortunately no camera at the ready - it was a 6 spot burnett (red & black), the second I would like an ID for a name if anyone can.  The third is a Jersey Tiger moth - we have 1 or 2 in our garden every summer - this one stayed on the lavender outside our front door for a few hours this afternoon.
What is this?
Jersey Tiger Moth

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,677
    My Lavender was invaded by at least half a dozen moths this evening - I couldn’t snap a picture (so top marks @Guernsey Donkey2) but will see if I can spot them again tomorrow and try to i.d.
    My Granny used to say moths hate the smell of Lavender and had Lavender bags hanging in the wardrobe! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,052
    Your mystery moth looks like one of the pug moth species, maybe sloe pug moth. Bit hard to tell sorry.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,303
    AR, I think clothes moths are a different ball game. They are supposed to dislike strong aromatics. I've seen no good evidence that this is true, though.
  • AR yes my mother always made/gave us lavender bags to put with our clothes saying that the moths wouldn't eat them!  Not sure if that was true but back then we believed her and religiously had them in all our drawers too. I will look up pug moth wild edges - I must admit I have never heard that name for a moth before now.
  • BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 744
    I saw a hummingbird moth on the verbena this morning. They are so cute, like a tiny hummingbird. 
  • Follow-up to Bijdezee post: this charmer was a frequent visitor to balcony flowers in Salzkammergut earlier this month - but only for a few seconds each visit!!

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,303
    Humming bird hawk moth?
  • Fire: I believe that you're right - different day, different vegetation (Arnika) a truly 'attractive' plant!!

• There were 5 or 6 of this butterfly species to each of the hawk moth in my previous posting on the same stand of Arnika.