How has this weather affected your wildlife?

BijdezeeBijdezee Bruges, BelgiumPosts: 792
I've noticed that it's all gone rather quiet. I'm not seeing many birds in the garden, the masses of butterflies are gone too. The field of grain behind us seems to have been cut 3 weeks earlier this year but we haven't seen any birds of prey after the dislodged mice.

Any one else noticing similar? 

• I am just on a tiny island so the wildlife is restricted anyway, but I have noticed the birds feeding in the morning, probably resting up around noon - 18.00 hrs and then coming for a late evening feed around 19 - 21.00 hrs.  We have a pond and various dishes so plenty of water around the garden for them. Yes, the fields have been cut earlier this year - if it does eventually rain the farmer will probably make another cut in September. We appear to have more butterflies and moths and bees than usual but a shortage of other insects. Our house hasn't been invaded by ants yet - we usually have two or three batches of them in the sunlounge but not yet.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,325
    No. In fact we have more junior birds this year than I’ve ever seen before. House sparrows, blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits in particular.

The buzzards seem to have got young, too. And the green woodpecker, normally silent and keeping out of sight is making quite a din today. Maybe because the ants are flying.

Loads of cabbage whites, which is OK because I don’t grow brassicas, Quite a few peacocks and red admirals. And a lot of little brown jobs in various sizes. Thousands of bumblebees all fighting over the lavender and catnip.

No, a very good year here.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,728
    No, I’ve had more than ever, there must be the whole bee population of Devon in my garden. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Singing GardenerSinging Gardener EssexPosts: 845
    Lots of bees and butterflies here - and a few horse flies  :#
    Plenty of goldfinches and blackbirds, and I saw a mistle thrush yesterday, which I haven't done for years. I also saw a sparrowhawk just miss one the blackbirds. The magpies have gone very quiet though recently.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,946
    The pigeons are still making a racket in the mornings, but the smaller birds seem to have disappeared. Plenty of cabbage white butterflies and bees though.
  • plant pauperplant pauper Posts: 6,236
    Everything is going nuts here! Loads of fledglings and countless damsel and dragonflies. I did have to rescue a very wet and cheesed off bumble bee this afternoon. I'm wondering was it the first time it had been rained on as it was definitely a bit miffed! Stood up and waved it's legs at me and everything. I put it on a nasturtium to cool it's heels.
  • Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653
    Lots of bees and butterflies, no sign of the birds apart from the Pigeons
  • pottiepampottiepam Posts: 203
    I saw a small dead mole in the lane and my daughter had one in her garden.  They must be struggling to find worms.
  • Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 1,578
    The birds have all disappeared apart from a family of starlings,and a family of sparrows.Loads of different bees and butterflies,and now an odd wasp or two!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,983
    I think my bird, bee and butterflies are about the same as usual. One thing I have noticed is the lack of slugs. I have seen a few snails (as my Hosta will tell you) but the lack of rain has certainly kept the slug activity down (or they ate so much of my stuff in Spring that they are on holiday). 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.