Forum home The potting shed

Cornwall places to visit

JoeXJoeX Posts: 1,506
Hi I’m in Newquay for the week, there’s a Japanese Gardens nearbybut is there any other gardens worth a visit?  I have car and son with me..
Cheers
TP

• FireFire LondonPosts: 9,576
    The The Lost Gardens of Heligan around about 45 mins away. Some others here.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,372
    If you like old houses as well as gardens, Lanhydrock. The gardens are nice but not at their best at this time of year, the house is fascinating. Cothele is another NT house - that one has a lovely garden and an ok house. If you wanted to make a day of it, there are a few other places along the Tamar Valley - and down to the coast. Antony House and gardens, Cawsands and Kingsands villages. You can get the Cremell Ferry across to the Royal William Yard in Plymouth for a bit of variety or a boat trip up the Tamar.

Heligan, as Fire says, and the Eden Project, but you probably know that one.

If you don't mind a longer day out, Caerhays on the Roseland Peninsula is lovely, you could pop across the King Harry ferry and into Trelissick while you're in that area. That is a really lovely part of Cornwall - worth a day out if you have the time. St Mawes has some great cafes, Pendower is a lovely little beach. Lots of small pubs and it's normally quieter than the main 'run' of tourist places at this time of year.
    “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.” ― Terry Pratchett
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 9,411
    I love many of Cornwall's gardens.
    Helligan, imo., is a must, as is Cotehele and the outdoor area of the Eden project. I am not a great fan of the domes.
    Too many hands in too many pockets
    Not enough hands on hearts
    Too many ready to call it a day
    Before the day starts
  • pottiepampottiepam Posts: 203
    I think St. Michael's Mount is a must. You can walk across at low tide or a short boat trip when tide is in. Look out for the giant's heart half way up.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,192
    Oh yes - having only been to St Michael's Mount as a child I'd been oblivious to the gardens. Returning as an adult, they were a delightful revelation. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 17,605
    Trebah is probably Cornwall’s best.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 7,880
    One of the holiday companies has webcam overlooking St Michael's Mount, l was looking at it this morning. Absolutely beautiful with all the people looking like little ants on the causeway. Very envious.