Oxeye daisies

I sowed some seed of the oxeye daisy in June. They have germinated and are now 2 - 3 inches tall with plenty of leave growth, they are looking very healthy. They are in my cold greenhouse - in shade although it is still very warm in there.  Can I plant them out now - will they flower this year or die down without setting seed?

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    I cant help you, but I do share a love for these plants and would love to grow the wild ones. I have several daisies in my garden some are hard as nails and others very tempremental
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 5,480
    To my knowledge they are perennial and should be fine. Mine stay green over the winter. You might well get some flowers later this year. They should, from that point, self seed happily. I'm keeping my smallish perennials in pots until the rains come back this year. I'll plant out in Oct or next spring.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,058
    More likely to be next year but they could flower late this year, they don't need a GH though, get them out of there so they don't go soft and then need it all winter :) You can plant them out if your soil isn't like concrete and you can keep them watered
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 542
    I got some free with a mag couple of years ago when they got to about 4 inch I put a group of 5 in a clump sunny aspect if I can remember flowered quickly and grew like the clappers good clump now start flowering early and continue a long time don’t feed them mine are over 3 ft tall this year I like them but keep an eye on them as I think they would take over if you let them.
  • Thanks for all your replies and I will put them outside tomorrow to acclimatize ready to plant in the wild jungle later in the week, watering them for the first few weeks until they are happily settled.