Forum home Problem solving

Sick Acer

as007as007 Posts: 94
edited July 2018 in Problem solving
Hello,
My Acer which has grown quite happily in a pot for a few years is really unhappy at the moment.

I potted up to a larger pot in spring with mix of good quality compost and John innes no 2 I think.

I gave it a generous helping of slow release granular fertilizer in spring since which, my friend has said Acers don't like and could be the cause of the problem.

The leaves have been turning yellow and falling off and some of the small branches are now dark brown and very brittle, i.e. dead :-(

Any ideas what could be the cause or is there a way of rescuing the tree?

many thanks
An

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,928
    Looks pretty healthy to me, especially if you consider the weather.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • as007as007 Posts: 94
    the pics make it look better than it is.
    its had many leaves turn yellow and die and branches are dead.
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,573
    Looks ok to me. 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • turmericturmeric Posts: 822
    Have to agree, it looks really healthy considering the heat we've had.  I scrolled down the photo waiting for the dreadful bit but there wasn't one.  You should see what happened to my Osakazuki after a few weeks of this sunshine, it's now in 'Recovery' in the shade.  I'd keep yours out of the full sun, make sure it's moist but drains well and give it time.
  • FireFire North LondonPosts: 15,568
    I wished mine looked like that.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003
    I agree, I think it looks good considering the weather we've been having.  I have a red leafed acer which is in a very sorrowful state, to make matters worse it's in the ground, so can't be moved.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,885
    My red acers also looks more dead than alive, its been move into the shade.It should be in ericaceas compost, no JA no 2, thats seed compost.