Forum home Plants

Age old question...Which tree?

MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
Sorry this question has been asked time and time again. 
I'm having trouble finding the perfect small tree.
Must be able to grow perennials under and around it with single stem so as not to take ground space.
Its mainly in full sun with part shade to base in late afternoon. Faces East.
A neat appearance (so not crab apple).
I really like a standard salix flamingo (maybe a photinia) but stems tend to be too short or if full standard (1m 30cm) they are far too expensive.
OH wants some screening vs I want to keep my perennial border and not cast too much shade on neighbours new veg patch.
Thanks.

• FireFire Posts: 18,966
    When you say, 'small tree', what size are you thinking. 'Screening' sounds like you want something pretty significant. That will create significant shade too. Any tree will take up a lot of water and have a rain canopy that the area under it will be dry.

Maybe a big acer, a single stemmed amelanchier lamarckii, a weeping cherry, a curly willow?

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    It's for this area. At present we rely on neighbours apple trees but I suspect they may be removed soon. The gap to the left of our (horrible) conifers uptown the wooden arch - it looks straight onto the back neighbours doorstep and windows ( until their apples have filled the space). 

the photo giving more of an overview is too large to post! 

this gives an idea of planting i want to keep, but can move around.

and this gives an idea of the screening need. The wooden arch is 180cm tall. The conifers are 10'. 
    What do you think about a raised bed to the back of the border with grasses or evergreen shrubs? I'd rather not go to that expense though.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    My first thought was this, but it might be a bit too large https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/details?plantid=1585

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

edited July 2018
    Yeah, thanks Dove, too big. I'm fighting a loosing battle. Maybe one of those slim cherries, but not sure i like them.
    Fire, an acer would be nice but getting one big enough (instant impact!) would be expensive too. Do you think a small umbrella trained wisteria would work?

• FireFire Posts: 18,966
    @Obelixx might know about the wisteria idea. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,881
    What about a pergola with climbing roses?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

Would these work?