Forum home Problem solving

Help Identifying and dealing with this weed

Hello,
My first posting - sorry for the immediate request for help.
We have a weed in our garden that has appeared quickly and in different places. We've not seen it before. Can you please help identify what it is and how best to deal with it, please?
Picture attached.
Thank you,
Andrew.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,358
    edited July 2018
    Hi and welcome :)

Can't see it very clearly and for some reason it won't let me zoom in ... possibly one of the willowherbs ... just pull it up ... it should be fairly shallow rooted. 

If it is a willowherb they have small pink flowers and spread by their fluffy seeds which drift on the wind and take root all over the place, so get rid of yours before they seed, and learn to recognise the seedlings as they appear, as if there are willowherbs growing anywhere near you they'll appear in your garden again.  
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for this - it's not flowering. I've pulled it up and it wasn't easy. I don't think that it's a willow herb - please see the attached pictures.
    Thanks again,
    Andrew

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,358
    edited July 2018
    Hmmm maybe not ........... pondering ............ more coffee needed .............

@nutcutlet ... are you about?  What do you think?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for this! Any help at all is gratefully received.
    Andrew
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559
    I don't think it's a willowherb. I think most of those would have started flowering or gone to seed by now
    What does it feel like? Is it hairy or bristly? Is there any smell to it?
    Size of root compared with top suggests an annual.
    My first thought was Conyza canadensis (Erigeron canadensis) Canadian Fleabane but have lost confidence in that ID
  • Thanks.
    it is hairy, yes. Not much of a smell. It’s really woody in the root.
    Thanks again!
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Some of the Michaelmas daisies can look a bit weedy like that.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • We did have large daisies last month and these are in the same place but they’re so different. Almost like a rosemary but with light leaves. Look at detail in this picture:

Really grateful for all the help.
    andrew.