Clam in pond?

wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,730
Ok this is a bit of an odd one. I was netting blanket weed out of the pond today (again :| ) and this tiny clam (or mussel?) came out with it. The pond is about 18 months old and is just a small wildlife pond with no flowing water. I was only netting weed from the surface so I don't know what the thing was attached to. It must have come in with some plants last year but is it normal for clams to turn up in ponds? It's not something I ever heard of before.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,337
    Some aquariums have clams in them. Maybe it came in with some pond plants you bought?
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,665
    There are native freshwater mussels in the UK although much rarer now than when I was a child  ... There are also mussels sold for ponds for filtering/cleaning  the water ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,730
    Are the ones sold for ponds non-invasive? The pond doesn't directly connect to any other water but my drains go to the local stream and I guess birds can spread eggs about. I don't want to be the source of an invasion of bivalves.
  • madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,674
    Just been checking my trusty Readers Digest Field Guide and see there are some freshwater cockles which look similar to yours.Maybe an Orb Shell Cockle? They can live in ponds and apparently drains The book does not say if they are invasive or not but I would guess not or we would see more.
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,665
    @wild edges  ... maybe contact someone here https://www.welshwildlife.org/where-i-live/local-groups/ and see if they can ID them for you?
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,739
    It’s a cockle.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.