Butterfly ID Challenge!

NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
Well this is a shot in the dark as I have no photo. A roadside pink Silk Tree was covered in large white butterflies (the size of a swallowtail but ‘normal’ butterfly shape) with nearly translucent wings and a darker buff/grey edging and kind of struts that made it look like one of those very early aeroplanes/winged man contraptions. It had quite a large body too. Have tried various search terms but no joy yet. Nearly translucent white butterfly with aeroplane-like struts just didn’t cut it.

Any suggestions?  I would love to get to the bottom of what they were!

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    Well, without any photos and spotted in a country where most forum members don't live,this is indeed a challenge. ;)
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,249
    Maybe Black veined white.
    Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 2,081
    Looks like a good guess, @punkdoc.
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • NollieNollie Girona, Catalunya, Northen SpainPosts: 2,551
    Ah, sadly not, but yes a good guess punkdoc. This one had thicker banding around all the wing edges and less ‘struts’ - it may well have just been banding around the four wings. I will just have to get the ladder out and try and take a pic if they are still there tomorrow.
  • edited July 2018
    Spanish Chalk-hill blue?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyommatus_albicans#/media/File:Lysandra_albicans_M_2.jpg

Edit. The size seems to be wrong - this is small.
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 541
    I would say black veined white also as this has translucent fore wings.
    Not a sign of them today. Oh well, they may have to be my imaginary friends - OH had an imaginary greenfinch friend, until finally I spotted it too  :)
    Well my fluttering friends were back on the silk tree today, and I owe you all a big apology - I got the scale totally wrong (I blame my new powerful binoculars!) ‘cos I saw one up close with the naked eye and it’s not that big and it’s not a butterfly:

Box Tree Moth - not my photo.

Fortunately I don’t have any box, but I do have euonymus, which I believe they are also fond of. Hmm, not so much of a friend, perhaps.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052
    ah, Box Moth