Forum home Garden design

My first flower garden.

13»

• @AuntyRach currently I do not have any borders.  We are having a privacy fence put in soon, and then the borders will be designed and planned.  The soil here is difficult.  This is a fairly new development and there is only about 2 inches of topsoil and beneath that is red clay.  In the beds I currently have it was difficult to work with.  Slowly adding compost, manure and peat.   I can use all the suggestions anyone can send my way.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,837
    Hi Dave - you're doing all the right things in getting your soil healthy before planting anything, and it's already looking good. As AuntyR says - it's helpful if we know some info about the sites you want to plant up so that we can offer the right suggestions. I've replied on your query about Acanthus, and hopefully a few others will as well.  
    I was just quickly reading back and I see you have an Acer. Dappled shade and plenty of moisture to keep them healthy. They grow very well here in the west of Scotland - high rainful and not as much heat as many other areas, so if you can replicate that, it should do well. They can suffer in cold winds, so keeping them somewhere that they get a little shelter from that would be good.  :)
    Love your little area for 'visitors'. I think it's great to encourage children when they're young. As befits my 'name' I also have a house in the garden. I live by the pond with my friend  ;)

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • I love the little door.  Two of my grand daughters 6 & 8 are going to be here Monday I hope they like it.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]