Forum home Garden design

My first flower garden.

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,492
    Looks great Dave, never seen a model gnome village before  :)
  • Mary370Mary370 Posts: 2,003
    I love the little village!
  • @Perki LOL just a little something for the little ones to enjoy.  Thanks for the response.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• Papi JoPapi Jo Posts: 4,213
    edited July 2018
    Well-done with the children's 'gnome village/garden', @shockley.dave !
    How did you manage to find suitable mini plants for it?
    You are welcome to take a tour of my own garden at http://www.rezeau.org/wp-garden/en/

You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • @Mary370 my wife is from Derry. Moved here about 28 years ago.  I went home with her once and loved it.  I would move if I could.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• @Papi Jo not sure about the plants.  I just looked around the garden center.  They will most likely grow larger and need to be replaced.  Using some Irish Moss.  I will be adding more.  Thanks for the response.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• @Papi Jo wow where did you find the design software?  Your garden is wonderful.  I have to go but I will finish looking at you garden later.  Thanks for the invitation.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• @Papi Jo I have been looking at your amazing web site.  Your garden is incredible.  Thanks for the invitation to take a look.
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• It looks like I need to conscentrat more on my borders.  Any suggestion s?
    Dave Shockley
    Waynesboro, Virginia USA
    [email protected]

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 5,259
    Hi @shockley.dave - ‘we’ usually start with the boring stuff first, i.e. what is your soil like (free-draining/clay etc) and what position your borders face (sun all day/ sun part of the day etc). From this, you can look at plants which would suit these positions. There is no point growing Mediterranean-type plants in a shady area with heavy soil, for example.  Next you can start thinking about themes, styles and favourite plants. You may be after wildlife-friendly or plants that remind you of somewhere, for example. One place to start is looking at gardens in your neighbourhood - what grows well, looks good etc. Then it’s factoring in - time, money and effort...

Inspiration can come from the internet, gardening programmes or books/magazines but often the best gems are other enthusiasts, visiting gardens or asking a knowledgeable local plants-person. 

Is there anything in particular you would like to change or create in your borders? 

My garden and I live in South Wales.