Question about bird feeder

I recently purchased a Gardman peanut bird feeder - a squirril proof one (if any such thing might exist!!) . 

https://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/shop/-M47276?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_onFiquw3AIVhpPtCh39NgrHEAQYBSABEgJsyPD_BwE

Looking at the grid through which the peanuts are obtained, it seems too small for the peanuts to get out. #

I checked some other makes in a shop, which seem similar and some "standard" peanut bags and it seems to me that the bird will never retrieve the nut

Is there something i am not computing. I am reticent about buying peanuts until I can be sure

Do they work? 

Thank you

Z

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,671
    They peck pieces out of the peanuts ... they don't take the whole nut.  They work just fine.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    thank you - seems like a high level skill to me! I would hate to eat that way  :open_mouth:
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,671
    When you have a beak you can try and see what it's like  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• cornellycornelly Posts: 743
    If your feeder is on a pole, put some axle grease on the pole, it will deter the squirrels
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,411
    According to the RSPB, whole peanuts should only be put out in a wire mesh feeder.  Apparently small birds sometimes try to swallow them whole and choke themselves. If you hang up the nylon mesh bags they are sometimes sold in, birds can get their feet tangled in them.  And squirrels can chew through plastic mesh.
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    Will do
  • Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 907
    josusa47 said:
    According to the RSPB, whole peanuts should only be put out in a wire mesh feeder.  Apparently small birds sometimes try to swallow them whole and choke themselves. If you hang up the nylon mesh bags they are sometimes sold in, birds can get their feet tangled in them.  And squirrels can chew through plastic mesh.
    Particularly important when young are about or being fed by their parents.
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,135
    edited July 2018
    Robert Dyas do them for £5.00 @Lyn - but don't tell my brother 

• Cut a circle out the bottom of two litre pop bottles and thread them the length of the feeder pole squirrels don't like it when the bottles move as they try to climb up them