Forum home Problem solving

Fibreclay troughs

I’ve bought about 12 of these troughs in various shapes and sizes over the last few years and without fail anything I try to grow in them in the first year just doesn’t thrive. Has anyone had a similar problem? I use the same good compost I always use and water properly etc but the same thing happens every time. Plants are usually fine in the next year after I’ve changed the compost. I’ve contacted the manufacturers but so far no reply. Could something be leaching out into the compost? If so is it likely to contaminate any food crops I grow in them?
Thank you for any thoughts.
joanna

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 3,921
    I've got three of these (if 'fibracotta' is the same thing?), bought earlier this year, and everything seems to be fine. I did have a lot of problems with squirrels diggjng up the bulbs I had put in, but no pronlem with the health of the plants themselves once I'd managed to protect them from the squirrels! It does seem odd though that it  has happened to you the same so many times. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,677
    I have a few of these planters. I've had no trouble with them. Some plants have not thrived and even died, but I have not put that down to the material, since similar issues have occurred with clay pots and also plastic pots. My issue is, some are still quite heavy and not worth moving over to, if the difference is minimal.