What's this bird?

No camera to hand unfortunately but yesterday saw what may be a type of wagtail. Black with Peach underbelly turning to rose colour on either side of tail and deep navy head. Clicked its beak rapidly as opposed to singing. About the size of a thrush. Flew off wall down onto pile of rocks and from a hole out popped a baby which also clicked its beak and a female who was a dull grey but with peachy underbelly also beak clicking. We live on the Normandy peninsula -could this be a bird from further south migrating? It had a short sharp black beak and the tail was definately like a wagtail and it wagged!! -Any ideas -Can't find it in the books.

• GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 208
    At first I thought it might be a long-tailed tit.....but that sounds a bit too big as they are tiny! Someone will know.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,075
    Maybe a rock thrush? The habitat and clicking noise sounds similar to a stone chat though or even a redstart.
  • floraliesfloralies Posts: 452
    I would say it is probably a Redstart, we have them down here, also the black redstart.
    Lovely birds.
  • biofreakbiofreak Posts: 692
    You are fantastic!!! Just looked up Photos from your suggestions in my Readers Digest Field Guide to Birds of Britain and definately not a Stone chat Black Redstart seems to fit the bill and it was definately nesting in a pile of rubble. Is it rare? Only thing that has thrown me is book says it has a reedy warble -This was beak clicking as I saw it really close up -Do you have a photo of Rock Thrush? No reference to this in book. Saw a kingfisher for only the second time in my 50yr life last w/e -Such a joy!
    Forgot to say they do a lot of clicking when a bit agitated.
    It was agitated -with me standing there gobsmacked!! So so pretty. Will see if I can get a photo next week as it was next to our Farmers Market where I walk the dog.
    Yes they do have a reedy warble especially in the spring, once you hear it you won't forget it! You are more likely to hear them clicking when they have their youngsters about.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 3,075
    Rock thrush. Not a common bird but they crop up in odd places. There was one just down the road from here last year for several weeks.

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 254
    That is a lovely looking bird!!!  :D 
    No it wasn't this but do wish I had seen this one! Will let you know if bird is still nesting in rubble after Framers Market tomorrow.