Forum home Problem solving

Hanging baskets

This weather - sustained sunshine/heat plus the 3 weeks of burning wind that we had in June - have wrecked my hanging baskets.  Can I plant up new ones?  What should I use at this time of year?  I'm already doing Sep/Oct tasks: collecting seeds, cutting down loads of dried stems etc.  I'm disheartened!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,586
    You need to dead head regular and water well, once they’ve flowered they will die. 
    Once mine are over I just cut the whole lot back and they’ll shoot up again. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• lydiaannlydiaann Posts: 291
    I know what to do - and I have done it, believe me.  Cutting back has worked a little, but the most of the planting is now gone in one basket.  In 40+ years of having hanging baskets and using containers in addition to my garden, I've never had this problem. (When living in the Med. areas, I steered clear of baskets). I think it's those winds in June that did it.  I have visitors coming so I'd like to start again with at least 2 of them...so it's planting suggestions really that I need - pretty please.:) :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,905
    what have you got in your baskets?  I went to a local Whyvale garden centre, lots of them and the nurseries, even DIY stores are selling off summer bedding cheaply, it has been exceptional weather, I have been soaking my baskets, put them in one of those plastic trugs, pour the water through under its half way up the basket, then left it in there an hour, then re-use the water for the next one.I cut my violas, way too tiny to dead, so I just cut them off with scissors, they are now flowering for the 3rd time this year, same with the dianthus in pots/hanging baskets.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,333
    Petunias are loving this weather I have the same issue too much lobelia I think so replanting one of mine with all petunias on Sunday 
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,586
    Ive chopped my lobelias and swan river daisy right back, and they’re coming on again. Every year I tell myself not to sow them, I sow many Nemesia seeds now instead, nice trailing and sweet scented.  They seen to have survived the weather well. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,834
    Funnily enough, I used Nemisia for the first time this year and they were the first thing to succumb to the weather in the baskets.  They are doing fine in tubs.  I suspect it's down to them being in full sun all day in the baskets although everything else has survived.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 4,333
    Lobelia never seems to recover properly from being dried out but I will put what I take from basket into a shady pot and cut it back hard. Actually had 2 hours of steady rain today so maybe all is not lost!