Forum home The potting shed

Summer perfume.

At the moment, there is a fragrance in the air, that I cannot place. I am a bit of a sniffer. I followed my nose to a Lime last year in Kew gardens that smelt wonderful. My OH, who has a poor sense of smell can smell it. My friend came round and commented on it.  We have tried all the usual suspects. Jasmine, Roses, lilies,sweet peas, lavender,  honeysuckle, phlox, lemon tree, buddleja. It is none of them. It smells sweet and almost resinous. I can only think it is coming off of leaves with all the heat that we have had.  Has anyone else noticed it.? I wish I could bottle it.
You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3

• Valley GardenerValley Gardener Posts: 2,010
    I can sniff out Privet flowers from a mile away,it gives me the most awful hay fever!
    The whole truth is an instrument that can only be played by an expert.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,263
    I always think privet flowers smell like cat pee. The smell of a rape seed field in full bloom almost makes me asthmatic, it catches at the back of my throat.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,517
    One of the strongest pleasant smells in my garden at this time of year are clove pinks. Fairly small flowers but the kick out a lot of perfume. One of the thistles - I think it's creeping thistle - smells like honey. 
    “You could say I've lost my belief in our politicians
    They all seem like game show hosts to me”
  • Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 785
    Heliotropes (Midnight Sky) are smelling lovely in the pots on the patio atm... "Cherry pie crossed with vanilla" says Sarah Raven!