Forum home The potting shed

Cheap alternate to bulb trays

Does anyone know an alternative to buying bulb trays.I could do with about 50 relatively small trays, and am trying to think what I could use.
thanks

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,641
    I never use trays for bulbs - too shallow, so confused by this question, but I often re-use supermarket packaging trays as small seed trays or gravel trays, depending on whether or not they have holes.
  • Hi there. I mean the trays that you put the bulbs in to bury deep in the ground (like mesh things) so you can locate them again. Like this ....
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 25,739
    Never use them.  Bulbs go in the ground, good and deep and then stay there.   perennials plants come up later and cover their dying foliage.  Cheaper and much less work.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,005
    I can’t think of an alternate, I buy these, you can plant as deep as you like and get the bulbs back out if you want too.
    the only ones I dig up are gladioli, it’s far to wet through winter and spring here to leave them.  Maybe poundshops sell them cheaper? 
    https://www.eBay.co.uk/itm/Bosmere-N430-26cm-Small-Round-Bulb-Baskets-3-Pieces/253049661234?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,641
    I guess you could use chicken wire to make your own baskets, but like Obelixx , I don't bother, just plant and leave.
  • Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489
    Old wire hanging baskets for larger bulbs.
    SW Scotland
  • Theresa May NotTheresa May Not Posts: 95
    edited July 2018
    Ooh thanks for the replies,some good ideas here!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,024
    Was also confused, you mean bulb plamting tray, no I dont use them either, was originally mostly clay soil very wet, so bulbs in pots.
  • Yes, thats what i meant,thanks