Forum home The potting shed

Things I wish I hadn't done ...

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,348
I wish I hadn't wandered around the garden bare foot on the day after I'd done the summer pruning of the gooseberries shock  oops   :'(

What do you wish you hadn't done ............. or are you a sensible careful sort of gardener?
“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,524
    I once planted 2 golden hops in a small garden. 
    BIG MISTAKE
    Devon.
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,240
    Let my shrubs get too big -especially the ones with roots that creep and sprout.

Dropping my camouflage handle tools when I get distracted -I'm easily distracted.

Fed my best gardening gloves to the foxes.

Trodden on a plant when trying to reach the one behind it.

Fixed my bench/ arbour thing into the ground facing  the house. I don't sit in it much because it faces my neighbours too and it's like being on a stage.

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,967
    Tackling a large bramble patch in shorts and T shirt. Resulting bacterial infection took 3 doctors and 9 weeks of antibiotics to sort out.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,524
    steephill said:
    Tackling a large bramble patch in shorts and T shirt. Resulting bacterial infection took 3 doctors and 9 weeks of antibiotics to sort out.
    Ouchity ouch ouch.
    Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,275
    B3 said:
    Trodden on a plant when trying to reach the one behind it.
    ALL the time!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,005
    TIWIHD....... Walked around the garden not looking out for  🦊 💩 🤢🤮
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,577
    Bought six goldfish.

Now got 46 and need another pond.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,348
    Lyn said:
    TIWIHD....... Walked around the garden not looking out for  🦊 💩 🤢🤮
    Not looking out for what @Lyn ?  All I can see is three empty squares and a Christmas tree 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Like Hosta, planting golden hop though that regret is surpassed by the one about planting Boston Ivy.  It has covered 100' length of fence, shows no signs of stopping and all summer I spend hours cutting off great chunks of it.

There are many other garden related regrets and the majority are a result of impatience (wanting quick growth but conveniently ignoring the ultimate downside) and lack of money...I wish I had held fire and spent more on 'infrastructure' and hard landscaping rather than being hell bent on an instant garden.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,160
    I generally wish I had kept a closer eye on men who come over to do work in the garden. I asked a local garden company to re-support a fence with an iron post and came out to find a whacking great concrete block instead. A friend offered to prune my wisteria and I came out to find he had taken off everything, including all the buds, so I had no flowers at all this year. The same friend managed to break off two branches of my small acer. I don't like to peer over people's shoulder and micro-manage, but I think when you're paying for work done, it's often necessary. Send the full work spec, in detail, ahead of time and get full agreement. These days I go through the full list and check each point one by one, esp the small stuff, making sure the spec is fully met.