Forum home The potting shed

Hose pipe ban refund

I am wondering if you would be entitled to a refund when the hose pipe ban comes into effect  , as you would be paying for a service that you are not getting the full use off, any one got any idea if you would be entitled to refund. 

• ShepsSheps Posts: 828
    I was thinking the same thing, but I bet there is something in the Terms and Conditions of the contract that will enable the water company to weasel out of any refunds.

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150
    It's not like they're shutting off the supply of clean fresh drinking water, merely trying to restrict amount used. Having to lug a watering can around makes you think twice about just how much your garden really needs. 

People would really have something to moan about if we had to buy bottled water at the shop because the supply had been exhausted in order to wash cars or sprinkle lawns 😉.
  • Hampshire HogHampshire Hog HampshirePosts: 330
    You use to have to inform the waterboard if you intended to use a hose over a certain amount of time and they would charge extra or fit a meter the same as if you had a swimming pool.
    Not sure if that is still the case as I now draw my water direct from a private borehole.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,066
    Unfortunately, I know how much my garden needs, you dont pay for "hosepipe use" so of course you wont be entitled to a refund as Kitty 2 says they arent cutting off your supply of fresh drinking water after all.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,241
    You are not without a water supply so no refund is applicable.  If you ignore the ban there is the possibility of a substantial additional cost - it's called a fine.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,037
    In Devon and Cornwall we get a £12.00 per quarter refund, nothing to do with the OP, just saying😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,477
    If you're on a metered supply you pay for what you use ... if there's a hosepipe ban you'll be using less so you'll be paying less. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,092
    Sheps said:
    I was thinking the same thing, but I bet there is something in the Terms and Conditions of the contract that will enable the water company to weasel out of any refunds.

That's the way the money goes 
    Pop goes the weasel… ;) 
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • ZeroZero1ZeroZero1 Posts: 564
    I read an article in the Daily Mail (the source of all wisdom and truth o:) ) It said the government is contemplating a permanent ban on hose pipes. 
    If this is not alarmist, and actually came to pass, it would radically change the nature of the English Garden, so many plants would be lost to drought in patches like this. If the minister responsible is not a garden nut like us, they might not realise the consequences. 
    NB: I am not saying that garden hoses should be used irresponsibly
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    In my experience a hosepipe ban would not be necessary, nor would it be popular. It seems to have become the norm for governments to 'contemplate' actions just to test the public reaction, it reminds me of the 'abolish concessionary bus passes' debate. In my village they had no need, they just made the bus service unusable! No doubt that would be the strategy if water became an issue. BTW, friends tell me the DM is not always the best source of information - bit like the internet?
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett