Forum home The potting shed

Rescued frog

debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,620
edited July 2018 in The potting shed
Hi some advice please on what to do with a large frog rescued from my cats for 3rd time this week. I have a small water feature but unfortunately my cats, who ignore mice and birds, keep catching the only frog in the pond and bringing it into the house. Not injured at all but one of these days it will hop somewhere inaccessible and dry out! 
I have a water feature on my allotment, same size as one in garden so pretty small but full of plants and no cats in the vicinity so would that be better or should I take Mr Frog to the local canal? 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,577
    edited July 2018
    I’m not sure, but I think that it’s a bit iffy to do that. If the frog should have some sort of disease it might pass it on to a healthy population in the canal.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,161
    I would take it to the allotment.
  • Rob LockwoodRob Lockwood Posts: 280
    Allotment seems a good bet; otherwise, if you want to keep him/her, create a few more places to hide - log pile, mini-rockery!
    I keep a log pile and rock piles around my small pond for places to hide. And rocks in the pond for diving spaces.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,620
    My little pond has lots of plants around and a log pile nearby but cats keep bringing frog in. He is currently in a plastic box with a little water and I will be taking him to the allotment later where he can hopefully live happily ever after! Thanks for the advice and for not turning this into a "we all hate cats" thread! 
    Update, frog seems very happy in little pond! 
    I guess you could always but some other containers out, sinks etc and fill with water and stones and plants, in case the frogs need more water space. 
    Update frog seems happy. Maybe some friends will join him or her! 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,348
    'Our'  frogs spend most of the day out of the water, lurking in flower beds and long grass at this time of year, just returning to the pond in the hottest part of the day to cool off for a little while, then they hop out again and get on with their froggy lives  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh