Forum home The potting shed

What's this all about and why?

Old stone wall with a square hole, which has been bricked up. 
Just curious if you could shed any light on it.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,477
    edited July 2018
    If there's an alleyway behind it, it could be to facilitate the collection of 'night soil' by the 'night soil collector'? 

You leave the pail in the 'hole' so it can be accessed and emptied by the collector overnight. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,037
    A very valuable commodity in the old days. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,011
    I have never heard about that before.  Am I right in thinking that night soil is" human bodily waste"?
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    The Truth -Terry Pratchett

"if it weren't for Harry King and his night soil boys who remove buckets of the stuff from every establishment that doesn't think that stinking of piss is a valuable customer experience."    This is the origin of his nickname "King of the Golden River". He places buckets in a number of establishments and charges the owners a quite reasonable fee to remove them once full. Harry then sells the contents, including saltpetre and ammonia, to alchemists and farmers. What can't be sold to these people can always be used to create compost, which can then be sold. Harry also collects rubbish for composting. People pay him to take away unwanted material, and then he can sell the material for more money.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 2,011
    Thanks Herb 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    You're welcome  :)  Sir Terry was very informative on a lot of subjects I've found, and very funny!
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,775
    I remember the advice of Ron Hesketh, our old geography teacher, “Boys, never eat lettuces in Belgium; they fertilise them with night soil.”
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,477
    An old chap in the village where I grew up grew absolutely the best rhubarb for miles around ... but no one wanted any of it  ;)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,253
    An old chap in the village where I grew up grew absolutely the best rhubarb for miles around ... but no one wanted any of it  ;)
    Where's that 'green boak' smiley when you need it..... :D
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Ha ha ha!!! So now I'm know!