Forum home Plants

Clematis jingle bells or freckles?

MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
Bought this as clemayJingle Bells to flower at Christmas into spring. It's flowering, weakly but fairly profusely now! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,354
    edited July 2018
    That looks like 'Freckles' to me ... didn't think 'Jingle Bells' had the coloured speckles.

My 'Freckles' flowers on and off through the year, but has it's best show in the winter ... December through to February/March.  

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/Clematis-cirrhosa/

I'd give yours plenty of water ... it's working hard  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Thanks dove, i i think it was miss labelled. I'm happy though especially if it flowers Dec to Feb . It has heaps of water every night but it's in a container and young, may need a feed though. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,354
    edited July 2018
    Mine has grown pretty big ... a good 8' x 10'  and still spreading ... don't think it's ideally suited to a container ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336
    I have several 'Freckles' and they are very vigorous once established so agree with Dove that it might not be the best one for a container.  I had one plant in my 3x5m raised front garden and it layered itself in several places without me noticing (I was using it as a kind of ground cover) then it went crazy and almost covered my 3mx3m peach tree and smothered a weeping cherry.  My fault for not tending the front garden enough that year though!  They do flower on-and-off for most of the year and are great if you want to train them up a trellis for an evergreen screen etc.  I don't think they'd get out of control in most situations so don't let the above put you off!   
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.