Nasturtium massacre

Tin potTin pot Posts: 526
You can’t look away for a few days can you?

Of the few successes my nasturtiums were huge, now two are in the bin and this one has little chance...

Theyre in a border with gladioli and grapevine...what can I do to save my nasturtiums and protect the rest of the border?

• wrighttwrightt Posts: 169
    Are they insects? if so try washing the leaves with a bit of soap. if not try spraying with a bug killer if this is what they are. In my garden they all go bonkers and re seed them selves every year so I end up pulling some out.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294
    Nasturtiums are often grown as sacrificial plants to attract blackfly and Cabbage White butterflies and keep them away from other plants.  
    “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• AlliumPurpleSensationAlliumPurpleSensation Kent Posts: 60
    I’ve pulled up mine after the second year of black fly but it is meant no other plants have become infested x
  • Tin potTin pot Posts: 526
    So...leave them in to save the gladioli and grape?

They looked so good a few weeks ago.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,294
    Nothing is for ever ... especially in the garden  ;)
    “I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” ~Charles Dickens

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 10,708
    Just leave them, whilst they’ve getting ruined your other plants may be spared, bees like the flowers, ladybirds like the aphids, probably best to spray them with pesticide though, we don’t want bees and ladybirds really in the garden. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
    Freedom’s just another word for nothing left to lose. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    I grow nasturtiums all over my garden. I tend to find the ones that get the blackfly are the ones that get the least water. The same goes for aphids.
    Nice food for ladybirds and ants Fire. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 4,512
    My garden is currently covered in cabbage whites, their eggs and caterpillars. I hope this is a useful contribution. Most gardeners curse them, it seems. Even the green types. 
    I don’t feel guilty about removal at egg stage.