The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Deer and legumes

hi folk, deer on my allotment have destroyed climbing beans and sweet peas this year. Last year they destroyed chick peas (an experiment that failed). During the winter they stripped a couple of large hebes! And those are just their favourites! Any thoughts to deter them? Feeling very disillusioned ... 😞

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,914
    I'm afraid that good deer fencing is the only really effective way of protecting your garden. 
    @chicky has visiting deer ... maybe she'll be able to advise further ...
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 11,525
    I’d say that anything you would eat, a deer would eat.

I think you need a fence.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,429
    Deer are a menace in a veg garden - they’ll eat pretty much anything.  I should think other allotment holders would feel the same.  Can you all club together for some fencing round the whole site ? (It needs to be about 8 foot tall - they can jump pretty high). Alternatively we make quite effective defences using chicken wire and bamboo canes round things.  If you make the enclosure small enough that they can’t jump into it, then you can get away with this being a bit shorter.

Good luck 🤞🏻
    The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......