Rats!!

We seem to have discovered rats. Our garden is tidy but we do have bird feeders. They seem to be coming up under next doors garage. What is the best and cheapest way to get rid of them? 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 18,416

We had rats recently and we used poison in a little dish so I could take it in at night so Spikey the hedgehog wasn't tempted by it. They ignored it for a few day then started to eat it. Keep the tray in the same place as they don't like "new" things. Once they get used to it being there, that's when they start to eat it. It took about a week then they ( 2 ) were gone.
    The birds didn't go near it.
    Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 12,428
    Big cheese rat traps.  It catches them live, so once you are sure it is not a random hedgehog, you can drop the whole thing into a tub  of water and drown them. Take away the bird feeders for a bit.
    It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,365
    Get a cat
    Mary370 said:
    Get a cat
    A neighbour of mine once phoned me to ask her to get rid of a cat running round her sitting room. 
    "where are your 4 cats ?" I asked
    "sitting on the sofa beside me watching the mouse"
    Devon.
  • Pauline 7Pauline 7 West Yorkshire Posts: 1,295
    Hostafan1 said:
    Mary370 said:
    Get a cat
    A neighbour of mine once phoned me to ask her to get rid of a cat running round her sitting room. 
    Did you mean get rid of a mouse Hosta? 
    Pauline 7 said:
    Hostafan1 said:
    Mary370 said:
    Get a cat
    Did you mean get rid of a mouse Hosta? 
    oops!! SOZ ( where's the wee blushing emoji gone?) 
    Devon.
       Here you are Hosta.

How do I save this? He's not in the box of emojis .
    Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 49,262
    He comes from my cookery forum Hosta ... I copy and paste him but I can't do it when I'm on my phone. 
    "Oh, for the good old days when people would stop Christmas shopping when they ran out of money."  Anon

I save it just as I would a picture. .....press and hold if on my tablet or right click on it if I am on my computer.