In Praise of Pelargoniums

I grew up in a small industrial town in a communist country, surrounded by grey blocks of flats. It was only when I visited my grandmother that I had the chance to be in a garden and admire the flowers there, but that didn’t happen too often. 

My mother used to keep pelargoniums on the windowsill and I remember how impatient I was for the buds to finally open, especially with plants I hadn’t seen in bloom before. It was her way of bringing a bit of nature inside the concrete matchbox we called home, a silent protest against the uniformity of the grey surroundings. 

That’s why I am very fond of having them on my windowsill and watch them flower with almost the same  sense of wonder. I know many gardeners don’t like them and I can understand why, but if you are fond of them share a few pictures on this thread.

• Pandora

• FireFire LondonPosts: 5,433
    They remind me of living in Spain and driving though Portugal. Sunny plants.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,911
    Love them especially in this weather 
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,911

• The do like this sort of dry and hot weather. Even my regals are doing well outside.
  • pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 653
    I’m tentatively resurrecting this thread. I’m sure there must be some pelargonium fans out there. ☹️

Viva Rosita

Ludwigsburger Flair

Odensjö Made in Sweden

Unicorn Hot Pepper

• AdstidAdstid Posts: 74
    I'm with you, pitter-patter. The smell reminds me of my nan and grandad. Here's one of mine...

• pitter-patterpitter-patter Posts: 653
    Lovely. Is it Frank Headley?
  • AdstidAdstid Posts: 74
    Not a clue! Just a hand-me-down of a hand-me-down!
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 2,907
    I am a big Pelargonium fan. I’ll do some pics when I can. I always have a few scented ones each year plus a few others in pots for my patio area. I too have fond memories of red ones on my Grandmother’s windowsills. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales.