Forum home Problem solving

Climate change

  Changing climate our beautiful England I want to know which plant better suited to our changing climate it gets hotter every year. I want to plant those plant that can be suited to our climate to save water  
«1

Posts

  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159
    Well we had a phase a few years ago of planting stuff for dry summers, then it got wet, so they bought in regulations for draining water into ground and not drains.   It is not the summers that are the problem, usually it is the cold wet winters that finish a lot of plants off.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,384
    edited July 2018
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,893
    It doesnt get hotter every year, look back at 1976, (remember it well I was pregnant!) What about this last winter, I live 10 minutes from the sea, for 2 nights we had temp os minus 12, which folk who have lived here since the properties were built in the 60s had never heard of temp that low, followed by a cold wet spring, yes, you have hit the nail on the head Dove!  Mark Twaine said "If you dont like the weather in England, wait 10 minutes", everyone remember Michael Fishes "BBQ summer" where was that!
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,386
    It doesnt get hotter every year, look back at 1976, (remember it well I was pregnant!) What about this last winter, I live 10 minutes from the sea, for 2 nights we had temp os minus 12, which folk who have lived here since the properties were built in the 60s had never heard of temp that low, followed by a cold wet spring, yes, you have hit the nail on the head Dove!  Mark Twaine said "If you dont like the weather in England, wait 10 minutes", everyone remember Michael Fishes "BBQ summer" where was that!
    Michael Fish said there wasn't a hurricane coming, oops. 
    The much quoted "BBQ Summer" prediction was actually " there's a 70% chance of a BBQ summer" ergo, 30% chance it won't happen. 
    If someone said "there's a 70% chance horse X will win this race" you'd not stake everything you own on it winning.
    The poor weather folk always get it in the neck.
    Devon.
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 601
    Please don't mistake the weather for climate. The earth is warming, the caps are melting, the science is solid, and the principle is actually extremely simple. Greenhouse gasses trap heat. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. We're emitting huge quantities of it and there are no corresponding CO2 sinks; in fact some of these sinks are becoming sources, such as the permafrost.
  •   Changing climate our beautiful England I want to know which plant better suited to our changing climate it gets hotter every year. I want to plant those plant that can be suited to our climate to save water  
    Cacti! But I wouldn't worry just yet. Plant plants that attract Bees and Butterflies for now.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,893
    isnt it ironic that some area have had terrible floods in the last few years original poster says "it gets hotter every year".  I have a book written by an eminent scientist, unfortunately, I cannot access it at the moment,plenty of complicated stats, graphs, says on one of the last big climate change debates, they were polititions and no scientists.    ashutosh mishra has written "climate change myth or realitity", with astrometeralogical  analysis of climate change says, amongst other things, "there is no doubt climate is changing but it has changed in the past as well even with the absnece of humans." In one paper, you get pictures aparently showing ice caps melting, then another day, showing they are growing.You have to formulate your own opion.
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 213
    I’m a keen student of history and remember reading of the devastation a mini ice age caused in the early medieval period, when it lasted 30 years.  There is much consensus on the Saxon migration to England being catalysed by decades long periods of severe rain and poor weather (i.e.unable to grow sufficient crops.)

    Generations before us have struggled with climate change too. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • micearguersmicearguers CambridgePosts: 601
    Floods are consistent with climate change. The greenhouse effect means there is more energy in the system; this will lead to bigger extremes, meaning bigger droughts, bigger floods, bigger storms, longer heatwaves, and indeed also cold spells sometimes, but with average temperatues increasing although local minima and maxima will change. Some regions may become colder; this is tied in to phenomena such as El Nino changing course.The fact that the climate has changed previously is meaningless. We know exactly what is going on now; man-made climate change at an unprecedented rate. To say that one somebody had some pictures and then conclude that you have to form your own opinion -- it's pretty much the level of flat-earth debate. The science here is completely convincing. But find the flat earthers all you like, ostrich behaviour is so much more comforting.
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 213
    edited July 2018
    It’s a shame that in this day and age that historic and current scientific data is labelled ‘flat earth’ and ‘ostrich’.  What used to be called debate and considered conversation has become disparaging phraseology.  Far better to engage and discuss with evidence and that doesn’t involve predictions of trends. 

    In in my humble opinion, you’re probably correct, but at least take on board historic fact and current scientific data with respect. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
Sign In or Register to comment.