Forum home Problem solving

Please Help. Vine Weevil Infestation

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    We had a really bad infestation when we moved here and we treated the borders with nematodes which seemed to do the trick and we had no bother with them for several years until this year when they seem to have decimated the clematis in the wooded area ... I've ordered another pack of nematodes ... enough for 100 sq metres, and will do the whole of the  shady bank which is where they seem to be doing the damage.  The fun part is going to be keeping the soil in the bank moist  so that the nematodes can do their job :/

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• MayLaneMayLane Posts: 203
    Can we treat the soil for the grubs too at this time of year? I have 5 traps that does 5 metres of bed each but I do need a few more. Just expensive.
    I'm convinced we can hear them eating at night. 
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,297
    edited July 2018
    You have every right to be worried. That is definitely a vine weevil adult. Never seen them in such huge numbers though. Sympathy extended.
    We bought a Parahebe a few years back and found over 50 larva in the pot so if we had not caught them we would have had a problem. Now I bare root everything we buy (wash all the soil off in a bucket of water) and repot in clean compost. Don't do that to Daphnes though, it kills them.
    A little consolation, in the soil they do not do as much damage as in pots. The grubs are forced to go round and round in a pot whereas in the garden they do tend to eat in a straight line.
    For single stemmed plants in pots, try putting a piece of plastic (cut a small hole and a slot) on the surface and cover with at least 2 inches of small gravel. The adults lay their eggs on the soil and if they cannot find the soil they go elsewhere.
    Otherwise all you can do is carry on doing what you are already doing. Good luck to you.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 87,864
    edited July 2018
    You can apply nematodes (watering on method) whenever the soil temperature is above 5C, so now is fine.  
    The ones I've ordered are £25.99 to treat 100 sq metres.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

I wonder how many adults I'm likely to have if I have found over 200 in two days. They are out there now too. Is the bark much likely to be a good hiding place for them?