Forum home The potting shed

Great big containers that mature trees come in.

B3B3 Posts: 18,319
Where can I get them?
I have a couple and they're great for roses and climbers.
In London. Keen but lazy.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,599
    edited July 2018
    It depends what you mean by " great big " I've just bought some 30L pots, with handles from ebay.
    Marked at £6.95 each , but if you buy 20, they're £49.95
    https://www.oaklandgardens.co.uk/heavy-duty-containers-with-handles-12612-p.asp 
    Devon.
  • CFCCFC Posts: 71
    B & M have some very large pots.Currently reduced to £2.99 in my local store.
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 632
    Go to a large / trade nursery and ask nicely
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,319
    edited July 2018
    @glasgowdan ,that's a plan. I'll get OH to do it. He does nice better than me ;)
    Thanks for link and suggestions @Hostafan1 and @CFC
    I'll have have to measure the diameter of mine. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 2,775
    You can get 75 litre black tubtrugs on eBay for £15. Drill drainage holes in the base.
  • UpNorthUpNorth South Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK Posts: 376
    problem with trugs, they sit tight to the ground, so you would want to be on gravel or similar.  the large plastic pots with handles are strong and have good drainage at the side, not bottom of pots...
  • Daisy33Daisy33 LondonPosts: 1,031
    I have just bought a 110L bright yellow dustbin from eBay, £10 delivered as the lid was damaged. Going to be repotting my indoor yucca. :o
  • Ruby12Ruby12 Posts: 2,193
    I have recently repotted my Fatsia Spiders Web in my old leaky water butt. I drilled holes round the bottom . The Fatsia is doing well and it looks good . It is two hundred and fifty litres.
     Occasional flights into reality. B) 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,319
    Dustbins are a good idea. So long as they don't blow over.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,263
    A lot of nurseries now use air pots. They look a bit odd but are good for air pruning trees that are intended to go in the ground at some point. Just google air pots at amazon

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3