Forum home The potting shed

WOW! What a sight

herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
Just out sorting the bird feeders and birdbaths and got treated to the RAF Centenary flypast (smoke trails and all) right over my garden! Had to tell someone, got so excited 
"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett

• Janie BJanie B LincolnshirePosts: 785
    We live in Lincs and were treated to the 'practice run' last week... was amazing!
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Wasn't it Janie B!! They were very low and very noisy and very beautiful  :)
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • ChrisWMChrisWM West Berkshire Posts: 202
    I wish. I’m a member of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight but rarely see them fly past. Supporting them is good enough though. 
    If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Sorry ChrisWM, I'm right under the LHR flight path so I suffer most of the time for these wonderful moments  bonus was it must have stopped ops for a while as they were directly on the landing line for LHR!

Had another magical moment some years ago near Inverness, saw the Memorial flight overhead and an air display! Two favourite aircraft - Lancaster bomber and Concorde, both were there!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,253
    Ah, I saw some RAF craft low flying yesterday. I didn't realise the occasion.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,517
    Lucky you :) We get low flights now and then mostly chinooks and hercules but 4 ospreys (plane not bird) flew over at the weekend - never seen one of them flying before. I did wonder if it was connected to today's do but I'm not sure.
    “You could say I've lost my belief in our politicians
    They all seem like game show hosts to me”
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 28,599
    i remember sitting having lunch outside with my ( very young )kids years ago.
    It's was No 2 daughter's birthday and the red arrows flew over in perfect V formation. 
    I looked at my watch and said : 
    " I told them we'd be having lunch now, they're dead on time. Happy Birthday "
    She was thrilled.
    Devon.
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 1,972
    The Jubilee flypast formed up over us a few years ago so we got a great view then. Different route this time so it'll be TV viewing only this year. Can't complain though as we often see BBMF planes and we are on a regular flight path for Chinooks based nearby. Nothing quite like the sound of Merlin and Griffon engines to make you look up.

I was working in the garden once when I heard the Red Arrows going past. Looked up but couldn't see them. It was only when I looked down into the valley below us that I saw them!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,477
    Pa would've loved today's flypast ... they often form up over Sole Bay off Southwold in Suffolk where my late Aged Ps lived ... when he was alive we used to make sure Pa could see them fly over and he would salute them ... today is a 'significant birthday' for my 'Little Brother' who also lives in that area ... he says it's very good of the RAF to mark the date in this way rolleyes lol 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,350
    I only saw it on TV but was amazing.Brought a lump to my throat!!
    Myself and my son are off to RIAT at Fairford on Saturday so will be seeing a lot there!
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings